Monday, April 03, 2006

Theremin

What do the Fredericks of Hollywood catalogue
and the Theremin Have in common ? Nothing, Unless of course you are me and can draw meaningless comparisons out of a hat.
I spent this weekend composing a song called "totalvo of Hollywood". I am calling the piece "totalvo of Hollywood" in honour of the "Fredericks of Hollywood" of 1977, I kinda wish that I was in 1977 right now. I am sampled 12 seconds from the only known recording of Lev Theremin playing is polyphonic theremin. The song is now 14 and 1/2 minutes long. Many of the means of composing the piece, were first pioneered by Pierre Schaeffer back in 1948, he with out the use of computers, I however used software versions of some of the tricks that Schaeffer used to create us Musique Concrete. I am not quite sure if I am 100 % happy with the music yet.